Five

Five

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Counting Blessings

We have a big whiteboard in the lunch room at work. On it everyone has been writing what they’re thankful for: family, friends, freedom – ya know, normal stuff. And while I am also thankful for all those kinds of things, I find myself filled with gratitude for a multitude of things I would never, in a million years, write on a whiteboard at work, lest people think I am weird.

So instead, I will write them here, on the internet. And everyone will know that I am a crazy salty nut.

***

I am thankful for the ability to eavesdrop on Spanish-speakers who gossip to each other secure in the knowledge that anyone wearing this super gringo face can’t possibly understand them. Oh, but I do! Muahahahahahahaha.

I am thankful that daycare always puts out pastries in the morning so on those (frequent) occasions when I run out of time or chose to sleep an extra five minutes and can’t eat breakfast, I can snarf down a muffin or crumb cake in the car.

I'm thankful for the turkey recipe Marissa found
on Pintrest. Yum!
I am thankful my baby is the world’s fastest eater. The books always say to make sure they (the babies, not the books) eat at least 15 minutes per side. Sometimes I worry that my son isn’t getting enough food because he only eats about 3 minutes per side – and then I look at him. Yeah, that fatty-watty isn’t hurting for food.

I am thankful that I can drive a stick shift. Sure, it’s not going to be the smoothest ride you’ve ever had, but I will get us there! And now, every time some snotty car salesmen doesn’t want to show me a vehicle because it has a manual transmission I can haughtily sniff, “that will not be a problem.”

I am thankful for the dryer. And the washer. And the Dishwasher. And the programmable coffeepot. And all the many devices that do the job for me so I can be the exact same amount of busy – but I will be busy doing other things. Also, my towels aren’t crunchy. I love you, dryer.

I am thankful for the generosity of our friends, who bring us food, toys for baby, school uniforms for the big kids, and a TV that randomly speaks Spanish during football games.

And lastly, I am thankful for the gizmo that turns a light bulb holder into an electrical outlet so we can hang Christmas lights on the house. My entire childhood I longed to put up Christmas lights but we never had any way of plugging them in. Driving around and feasting my eyes on all the lights in December is one of my very favorite things ever – it’s right up there with automatic car washes – and thanks to the thingamajig, I get to see sparkly lights even as I pull into the driveway.

Clearly, I am so blessed.



What are you thankful for? 

2 comments:

  1. Sure, a crazy, salty nut but a lovable, crazy, salty nut.
    I document a few of the things I am thankful for every Thanksgiving on my blog here:
    http://yeshliblog.blogspot.com/search?q=thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for friends who remind me to be grateful for things like dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, drip coffee, refrigerators, and so forth. I am also thankful for friends who drive four hours to come celebrate Thanksgiving with us!

    ReplyDelete