Five

Five

Friday, November 22, 2013

Cereal Killer

I nearly had a meltdown in Target last night.

All because of this:

I was buying rice cereal so that soon the little babushka can start eating solids. My baby was born like 15 minutes ago! How can he possibly be big enough to start eating anything that did come directly from my person??

Shit. I'm THAT mom. The lunatic who can't let go and ends up teary-eyed in embarrassingly public places. Today the grocery store, tomorrow the kindergarten parking lot. 

Children grow up. That's kind of what's supposed to happen. Babies come out all purple and gross and filled with unlimited potential.  Little by little they learn and develop and, with God's grace, become all they are meant to be. 

So why all the crazy?

Because, ya know, I made that kid. Me. With my self. I've got the stretch marks and out of control belly jiggling to prove it. And after all that hard work and that waaaaaay harder work of getting him out, I helped him grow big and healthy with more me (sometimes we call it milk). Me!

You know what that box of rice is? Not me! 

weep.

It's just the first tiny step in a long slow descent into abandonment. Or, as my husband so helpfully pointed out, "Pretty soon he'll be getting married and leaving us forever." Thanks sweetie! That will help the hysterical overreaction. 

I know, I know, more food means more sleeping through the night and that is definitely a good thing. And I really love how each day he has more personality. He makes clam noises with his mouth and then starts busting up laughing his deep baby belly laughs. He can even see me now and hold onto my fingers

Yes, growing up is a very good thing.

Sort of. 

Just not in the baby food aisle. 

1 comment:

  1. FYI Breast feeding hormones can do this to you. It's not just the crazies. <3

    ReplyDelete