Five

Five

Monday, February 3, 2014

IN-Security System

This is super personal and hard to talk about...might as well put it on the internet!


When I start thinking about life insurance and retirement, I feel really old. It’s like I am physically carrying around each of my years – some of them twice – trying to haul them over the strange alien landscape of compound interest and term rates. My husband asked me the other day what I pictured for us in ten years. I said, “Ugh, I’ll be nearly forty!” in exactly the same way I might say, “I’ll have one foot right there in the grave.

That’s pretty much the only time I feel like that, though.

Most of the time, I feel distressingly young. And small. And kind of runty.

I’m nearly the youngest of my cousins and of my close friends. And while it’s definitely a good idea to surround yourself with wiser, more mature, or at least more experienced people – sometimes I carry around my lack of years like a stone in my heart.

Please love me and accept me, pleads my soft baby soul. Please let me into your grown up club. Look! Look! I’m married too. See? I know it hasn’t been 10+ years and I know I know nothing about making a relationship last. But I have this ring, you know, and it has a few years on it.

Look! Look! I’m a mother too. See? I made this human being with my own body and he’s still alive 6 months later. Sure, I know nothing about potty training or the first day of school or college graduation. But surely these stretch marks still count right?

Look! Look! I’m an awesome cook too! You wouldn’t believe the deliciousness I can produce with no fancy equipment and severely limited access to ingredients.

Look! Look! I’m just as Christian-y as you. I work for a Christian organization. I go to two churches. I was a missionary! I know I’m a pain in the ass who uses words like “ass.” Is that what’s keeping me out of your club?

Holy Pathetic, Batman.

I mean jeez, why do I care? Why does it bother me so much when the women I look up to don’t really notice me? I am not five. I am a grown ass woman. I know I am because the term life insurance rate index told me so.

It doesn’t help my neurosis that I have two kids in middle school. I am definitely and legitimately waaaaaay younger than the rest of the parents at the school. There is no reason I should have my crap together (and boy do I not) but it’s still hard to see every single other person know what is going on and the proper response to it. Meanwhile, I am Bambi on the frozen pond of parenthood. I feel much like I did my freshman year of high school, keeping my nerdy, bespectacled eyes open, trying to figure out how the regular, non-homeschooled kids acted so I wouldn’t stick out like a doof.

I am forever trying to catch up to the cool kids.

The worst part is, this deep, integral need of my runty little heart severely clashes with pretty much every other part of my personality. Sometime shortly after my birth, I decided to go my own way in life. I do things (and say things!) that break the rules and upset people. I don’t really intend to make anyone angry or upset; I am just trying, in my own bumbling way, to follow God as hard as I can. Also I have bad filters between my brain and my ridiculous, snarky mouth.

I want to dance, freely, without shame or insecurity, to the music God is playing.

And almost as much, I want the people I admire to accept and respect me.


I am beginning to think that one of those things is not going to happen. And that hurts me.




What about you? Do you feel confident? Or do you wish you could run with the cool dogs? 

3 comments:

  1. Girl. We are all Bambis on the frozen pond of parenthood. Those parents with kids in middle school? Their kids have never been that age before, either. And clubs aren't really much fun, anyway, even if you're "in" you're always worried about being out. You will be accepted by those with open hearts, and f%&* the rest. Dance, baby. Just dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dear Liz! You are none of those bad things - nor have you ever, ever been.
    Knowing you was one of my deep pleasures! I admired you when you WERE still a young-un, untested in some ways of the world because of inexperience. I admired your intelligence, your sense of humor, in fact all of you! You really are a darling!!
    You are the very best you in the whole world! And that 'You' has accomplished so very much - and I guarantee you, you'll do so very much more before you become an old lady! And maybe even after you become an old lady! heehee Some of it very great, some of it not so great, but you will be just fine.
    Sometimes we all get a bit down in the dumps. Sometimes we all feel like we're not measuring up. However, those times are certainly not because God is convicting us! Guess the source of that crap that's assailing you right now. Been there, done that, and will I will likely do that again - until the nice Holy Spirit grabs me up and reminds me again how precious I am to Him. And, as you know, He says the same thing to you.
    If anyone has made you feel you are 'less' - that's their problem, they're acting like a pain in the shorts! Check out 1Tim. 4:12.
    Sweetie, you are loved and your are admired. You are worthy of respect - you've already earned it. The rest of it is a matter of living long enough to gain experience and more and more wisdom - a never-ending gaining. Hang in there! You really are doing very well!
    Love and prayers for you to see yourself as God sees you, and then as those of us who know and love you see you! xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, YES. Yes, I feel this way. All the time. I have a long list of people right now that I'm not sure I'm "in" with. I definitely share your desire to be noticed and get people to like me. (Maybe that's universal, but some people definitely seem less concerned than I am.) I admire your willingness to go your own way despite that desire! But I also sympathize with the feeling of being a yappy puppy dog, barking around people's legs, hoping they'll look down and say some nice words.

    Secondly, I just want to put it out there that I disagree with Maeve's Momma. I think that every year you're a parent, you get better at a few things here and there. You get better at making food happen day after day. You get better at schedules, at laundry, at patience, etc. We're all experiencing our kids' ages for the first time (and even with multiple kids, each kid is different), but I think it's important to give yourself some grace that most of the other parents have been doing the parenting thing for a lot more years than you have. And also the having-kids-in-school thing.

    ReplyDelete